"We may not have it all together, but together we have it all!"








Friday, December 3, 2010

What is in a Name?

In my opinion I think a name should mean something...yes I am one of those people. So Bryce and I have been battling it out for the last several months to come up with the right name for our baby girl, and we have finally come to an agreement... We just can't agree with the spelling. Bryce has always like the name Ryan for a girl. I was a little skeptical at first thinking that my family(mostly my mom and grandparents) would hate that I am giving a girl a boy name, which they do, and I wasn't sure how my brother in law would feel about sharing his name with his neice, but when I first saw her in the ultrasound nothing but Ryan seemed to fit. We have both prayed about it and it feels right, so I guess I shouldn't care if my family hates it, sorry guys. But like I said we can't come to an agreement on the spelling. Bryce would be fine spelling just like a boy (I am rolling my eyes and shaking my head right now) I want to spell it Ryanne, which I think makes it more girly plus Margo's middle name is Anne and I think it would be so cute to correlate the two, but Bryce thinks that people will pronounce her name wrong. I was winning the battle until my doctor asked me what we were going to name her, and when I told him he said, "oh that is unusual for a girl. How are you going to spell it?" I told him, and he nodded his head in agreement and then after a while he said you know people will probably pronounce her name Ry-Anne. Bryce looked at me and said, "see I told you!" Now Bryce is standing pretty firmly on spelling it Ryann. He said that is girly enough, but the reason why I liked that name so much in the first place was so that I could spell it like her grandma. UGH HUSBANDS AND DOCTOR'S RUIN EVERYTHING. THEY SHOULD NOT GET AN OPINION!!!! (I am only being a little sarcastic). I was thinking that for her middle name I would give her the last part of my mother's name Lyn, and that way she could be named after both of her grandma's, but my mom did not appreciate that. She told me that my baby didn't have a gender. I was a little frustrated. I don't want to name her after my mom if she doesn't like it. I was talking to Bryce about it and he didn't like the name Lyn either. It reminded him of his family's childhood stalker. He suggested naming her after my dad instead. I loved it, but instead of spelling it like he did. I am going to spell it like my Aunt Terri and that way she can be named after two of my most favoritest people! Okay so maybe Bryce has some good ideas... sometimes. But I am still holding strong with spelling her first name Ryanne. What do you guys think?? We had 35 votes
13 agreed with me and said Ryanne Terri Erickson

and

25 agreed with Bryce and said Ryann Terri Erickson


Bryce is the winner!!!

8 comments:

  1. At first I just read the names at the bottom and I thought the first one would be pronounced "Ry-anne" so I would go with Ryann. And I like boy names for girls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry for one second what others will think of the name...it's YOUR baby (and Bryce's too...) and if someone doesn't like it, it's not your problem. I'm gonna think on this spelling thing and vote in a bit! Hugs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay let me just say that no matter how you spell it people will butcher a name. Now I realize my is really different, but even simple names people emphasize the wrong part. Your daughter will either be the kind of kid that gets frustrated everyday about it, or won't even notice correcting people. Some people will say Ry-Ann(e) no matter the spelling. Basically what I'm saying is good luck deciding on one, and I don't think there's a wrong choice.

    P.S. We still need a proper update on everything else you've been up to the past 3 months! We're having a friend Christmas paty next week, I hope you're there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI, I found your blog and am now stalking you. Creepy huh? You're going to hate me but when I saw "Ryanne" I said "Ry-Anne" in my head...even though we are smart people...her name might be mispronounced her whole life which would be annoying for everyone, right? Just my 2 cents. I'll still like you if you choose it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rian Terri Erickson.

    WWW.babyhold.com/list/Irish_Baby_Names/Rian/details/

    Check out the comments

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I will keep you posted on our decision!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speaking from someone whose first name sounds like 2 names put together and also someone whose name has "ann" in it, I think you should put the e on there. EVERYONE always thinks my name has an e at the end so people are constantly misspelling my name.

    Though I don't think you should name your baby based on what other will do, just for myself having to correct people my whole life, it just might have been easier if my parents would have done it differently.

    Also, I do think putting the e on makes it look more girly. But, I kinda did think "Ry-Ann" as the pronunciation. So I guess she would be correcting the spelling or the pronunciation depending on which way you decided to go...

    ReplyDelete

Daisypath Anniversary tickers